President Obama releases Oklahoma itinerary

• 0
Barack Obama

President Barack Obama speaks to the media about Ebola, Tuesday, Oct. 28, 2014, on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington before boarding Marine One for a short trip to Andrews Air Force Base, Md., then onto Wisconsin for a campaign stop. The president said the US can't be seen as shying away from battle against Ebola. Obama did not directly criticize quarantine policies for returning health care workers implemented in New York and New Jersey. But he says the response to Ebola needs to be sensible and "based on science," while supporting health care workers going overseas to fight the disease. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

President Barack Obama will speak at Durant High School in Durant, Oklahoma, Wednesday before traveling to Oklahoma City where he will spend the night ahead of his Thursday visit to the El Reno Federal Correctional Institution, the White House announced.

In Durant, President Obama will meet with the Choctaw Nation to deliver remarks on expanding economic opportunity for communities across the country.

The President listed the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma as one of five "Promise Zones" in his Promise Zones Initiative, also including San Antonio, Philadelphia, Los Angeles and southeastern Kentucky.

According to the White House website, the Promise Zone Initiative is "the President’s plan to create a better bargain for the middle-class by partnering with local communities and businesses to create jobs, increase economic security, expand educational opportunities, increase access to quality, affordable housing and improve public safety."

A representative from the Choctaw Nation declined to comment on the initiative but said the tribe is excited for the arrival of the President.

"The Choctaw Nation is definitely excited that a sitting president is coming to this part of the country to visit with tribal folks and the community," said Waddell Hearn Jr., the director of public relations for the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma.

Thursday, President Obama will become the first sitting President to visit a federal prison, where he will meet with law enforcement officials and inmates and conduct an interview for a Vice documentary about the realties of the United States’ criminal justice system. The prison houses 1,300 federal inmates.

The President will fly into Denison, Texas, aboard Air Force One around 4:20 p.m. before traveling to Durant.

His remarks at the high school will be open to the media but closed to the public, and the speech is set to begin at 5:45 p.m.

Air Force One is expected to depart Denison for Oklahoma City at 7:25 p.m. and arrive at 8:10 p.m., according to the White House.

Oklahoma governor Mary Fallin will greet the President on the tarmac when he lands in Oklahoma City. When President Obama visited the state in March 2012, neither Fallin nor Lt. Gov. Todd Lamb was in state to greet him.

After Obama’s visit to the federal prison, he will depart Oklahoma at 12:45 p.m., concluding his third trip to the state since elected to the Presidency in 2008.