OU Undergraduate Student Congress passes resolutions to encourage university to add minors

• 2
Undergraduate Student Congress

Representatives raise their hands to sign up to co-sponsor the Resolution Addressing Concerns Regarding the Negative Impacts of SQ 777 at the Undergradute Student Congress meeting Nov. 1.

With a vote of 25-10-0, the OU Undergraduate Student Congress passed three resolutions Nov. 15 encouraging university departments to add new minors to the university curriculum.

The new minors include Christian and Islamic studies, Oklahoma studies, and Brazilian, Italian and Mexican studies.

The resolutions were written after students responded to a survey conducted Nov. 8-9 meant to assess interest in new minors, said David Monlux, an international security studies senior and author of the resolutions. 

The survey was taken by 517 students, and out of those, 169 said they would be likely to complete the required coursework for a minor in Christian studies, 102 for Islamic studies and 108 for Oklahoma studies. 

Additionally, 175 students said they are currently planning on studying abroad at an OU Study Center, and 244 students said they would be more likely to study abroad if they received a minor in Brazilian, Italian or Mexican studies. 

The results of the survey and the resolutions will be sent to the corresponding departments for consideration. 

Congress also appointed Michael Lutter, Austin Coffey and Eihab Khan to the Student Legal Services Advisory Committee. 

Lutter said the purpose of Student Legal Services will be to provide basic legal services, free of charge, for students on campus, and that the committee will help to oversee the implementation of that process.

This article was corrected at 9:30 a.m. Nov. 16 to correct the spelling of Michael Lutter's name. 

Kayla Branch is a journalism senior and The Daily's enterprise editor. Previously, she has been the editor-in-chief, a news editor and covered the student government as a reporter.