top story

OU student dies while traveling in Germany

• 0

An OU student died in Berlin on Sunday while on a trip to Europe. He drowned while trying to swim across the city's Spree river with a friend, according to The Dallas Morning News

Daniel Holland, 20, an international studies and constitutional studies senior, visited France and was supposed to travel to Denmark. He was traveling while between summer study abroad programs, according to NewsOK.

"We were recently notified of the tragic loss of one of our OU family members," President David Boren said in a statement Monday. "Our deepest sympathy and prayers are with Daniel Holland's family and loved ones during this very difficult time. The university is in contact with the U.S. Embassy in Berlin as we gather more information about the circumstances surrounding his passing."

NewsOK also reported that Holland's father, Seraphim Holland, posted on Facebook about his son's death. 

"My wife, Christina and I are going to Berlin tomorrow after liturgy," Seraphim Holland wrote. "Pray for the repose of the (soul) of my son Daniel, who drowned while swimming in a river in Berlin."

Holland was a member of the OU College of Arts and Sciences Leadership Scholars and interned in the state Senate with the Oklahoma Democrats. 

“Daniel was an outstanding student and extremely active in the university community," Boren said. "He will be greatly missed."

The Daily will update this post as additional information becomes available. 

Updates: This post was updated at 10:22 a.m. on June 13 to include additional information about the location and Holland's purpose for travel. 

This post was updated at 9:04 p.m. to add a statement Holland's father made on Facebook regarding the situation.