OU stripped of U.S. News & World Report ranking due to misreported alumni donations, Inside Higher Ed reports

• 0
Bizzell Tulips OU (copy)

Tulips near the Bizzell statue March 30.

OU has been stripped of its U.S. News & World Report ranking as a result of false reporting on alumni donations received by the university, Inside Higher Ed reported May 23.

U.S. News & World Report removed OU from its best colleges ranking and several others, including best value colleges, top public universities and best colleges for veterans, according to the report.

The university told U.S. News & World Report it had been supplying incorrect information since 1999, according to the report.

U.S. News & World Report said the most recent report from OU claimed its two-year rate of alumni giving was 14 percent, according to the report, when it is actually 9.7 percent. 

The Daily reported Dec. 10 that the Jones Day law firm was investigating possible misreported donations. It was later reported that the firm was investigating sexual harassment allegations against former OU President David Boren.

The university has paid Jones Day over $500,000 to conduct the investigations. The Oklahoman reported Jones Day compiled a 50-page report on its findings. No report has been shared publicly.

According to the Inside Higher Ed report, this is the second time in two years a university has been found to intentionally submit false data to U.S. News & World Report. Temple University admitted to giving false information about its online M.B.A. program from 2015 to 2018.

Previously, OU was ranked as the 124th best university and the 58th best public university in the 2019 U.S. News & World Report rankings.

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.