breaking featured top story

OU's Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity under investigation after video of racist chant leaks online

• 14

Editor's Note: This story contains graphic and racially-charged language.

OU's Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity members have been allegedly implicated in a video showing members participating in a racist chant, and the fraternity is now under investigation.

The Daily received an anonymous tip about the video in an email Sunday evening. Shortly after, the video stirred up controversy online as OU students, including members of minority rights group Unheard, chastised the chant's racist language.

The video shows men on a charter bus singing a chant indicating that black students, which the men refer to with a racial slur in the chant, could not "sign" with the fraternity. The chant also alluded to lynchings.

Although Interfraternity Council President Payne Parker did not confirm whether OU's Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity members were the men depicted in the video, he did say IFC would conduct an investigation.

"The OU Interfraternity Council does not tolerate any of the behavior shown in the video," Parker said in an email.

Since the video was published, Sigma Alpha Epsilon's national fraternity Twitter account tweeted that they will also conduct an investigation.

We are investigating the details and will sanction those who are responsible.

— Sigma Alpha Epsilon (@sae1856) March 8, 2015

OU President David Boren has also spoken out against the men in the video in a statement and on Twitter. He said OU is conducting an investigation.

"I have just been informed of the video, which purports to show students to show students engaging in a racist chant. We are investigating to determine if the video involved OU students. If OU students are involved, this behavior will not be tolerated and will be addressed very quickly. This behavior is contrary to all of our values," Boren said in the emailed statement.

This story will be updated as we get more information. For news tips email dailynews@ou.edu.