OU's Helmerich School of Drama names new director

• 1
Helm rich School director (copy)

Seth Gordon was named the Helmrich School of Drama's director June 26. Photo provided by OU.

OU’s Helmerich School of Drama has named a new director, according to a university press release.

Seth Gordon, a “nationally recognized” stage director and play producer, was named the school’s new director Wednesday. Gordon has a background as a “passionate educator,” according to the release, and has taught classes in dramaturgy, stage directing and audition techniques.

"We are delighted to announce the appointment of Seth Gordon as director of the Helmerich School of Drama at OU,” Mary Margaret Holt, dean of the Weitzenhoffer Family College of Fine Arts, said in the release. “With a distinguished background in professional theatre that includes the Repertory Theatre of St. Louis, Stages Repertory in Houston, the Cleveland Playhouse, and the positions of founder and director of Primary Stages New American Writers Group in New York, Gordon brings a wealth of theatrical experience to share with the school, college and university.”

According to the release, Gordon has also helped create and produce an annual new play festival called Ignite and administered fundraising campaigns and a new play commissioning program.

“Gordon has directed at numerous additional theatres across the country as well as teaching at Pratt Institute in New York City, Carnegie Mellon University, Case Western Reserve University, and New York University," Holt said. "We are eager to welcome Seth to the University of Oklahoma as he enriches our already strong theatrical offerings in the Helmerich School of Drama and guides our talented faculty, students and staff toward a bright, exciting future."

According to the release, Gordon has received an award for best director from the Houston Critics Theater Awards for his production of The Whipping Man and received a nomination for his direction of Luna Gale.

Gordon received his master’s of fine arts in directing and bachelor’s of fine arts in drama from Carnegie Mellon University, according to the release.