OU's Gaylord College hires new associate dean from The Oklahoman

• 0
Yvette Walker

Yvette Walker will be the next Associate Dean of Gaylord College.

The OU Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication's new assistant dean will begin her position Dec. 21 and is looking forward to working with students.

Yvette Walker is currently the night news director and director of presentation and custom publishing at The Oklahoman and was recruited to the newspaper by Gaylord's interim dean, Ed Kelley, in 2006 when he was editor of the newspaper, according to an email from Kelley to Gaylord faculty and staff. She believes their work together allowed Kelley to see her capabilities, she said.

“He knows me personally and has seen my day-to-day work ethic,” Walker said. 

Walker also teaches two classes at the University of Central Oklahoma and has held the Edith Kinney Gaylord Endowed Chair of Journalism Ethics there for five years, according to the email from Kelley.

Walker said she hopes that the combination of her experience in the journalism world and in educational institutions will help her to be a valuable resource for Gaylord students.

"I bring experience from both worlds, and together they will help to make me a good sounding board for what students need at Gaylord," Walker said.

This article was corrected at 11:11 a.m. Dec. 10 to reflect that Walker will be an assistant dean of Gaylord College, not associate dean.

This article was corrected at 12:03 p.m. Dec. 10 to reflect that information on Walker's hiring did not come from a press release, but an email sent by Kelley to Gaylord College faculty.