OU names interim dean of Gallogly College of Engineering

• 0
Dean Engineering (copy)

John Antonio was named the interim dean of the Gallogly College of Engineering.

OU named an interim dean of the Gallogly College of Engineering on Wednesday, and also began a national search for the permanent position.

John Antonio, a professor of computer science and senior associate dean in the college, will serve as the interim dean of the college effective Aug. 7, according to an OU info statement. 

Antonio is the current Howard and Suzanne Kauffmann Chair in Engineering at OU, according to the statement, and came to OU as a professor and the director of the School of Computer Science in 1999. Antonio was responsible for “rapid growth” in the number of faculty members in the school, according to the statement, as well as tripling the school’s research expenditures.

“We are looking forward to working closely with (Antonio) as the search process continues for the new dean,” interim OU President Joseph Harroz said in the statement. “His service to the university along with his experience in the private sector will help to continue the vision of Dean Landers for the Gallogly College of Engineering including Dean Landers’ emphasis on growing research in engineering.”

Antonio took a two-year leave of absence to work in a leadership role in computing with MSCI, Inc., according to the statement. Antonio holds two patents and has worked on several peer-reviewed articles and research projects.

Antonio is also a senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, a member of the Association for Computing Machinery and the American Society for Engineering Education, according to the statement.