OU LGBT group creates scholarship

• 0
LGBT Advocacy Scholaraship

Part of the flyer for the LGBT Advocacy Scholarship. The scholarship is sponsored by OU's official LGBT alumni club.

The OU LGBT Alumni Society has prepared a scholarship to be awarded to students seeking internships related to LGBT advocacy.

The scholarship will contain $5,000 in cash and fee waivers for the recipient, according to a press release. 

Any OU student graduating later than May 2016 can apply, and students do not need to have secured an internship before applying. Award recipients will need to participate in an internship related to LGBT advocacy for at least six weeks in the summer of 2016, according to the LGBT Alumni website. The deadline to apply for the scholarship is 5 p.m. on Feb. 12. 

"We know there are students who are passionate about equality at OU and would love to intern somewhere like the Human Rights Campaign or Freedom Oklahoma but are worried about costs since so many internships are unpaid nowadays. This scholarship was created to remove these financial obstacles from students who are passionate about LGBT advocacy," Matt Epting, treasurer of the OU LGBT Alumni Society, said. 

With the creation of this scholarship students who dedicate their summer to representing and advocating for the LGBT community will now be able to do so while relieving some of the stress on their wallets the work may cause.