OU graduates in various fields to receive Fulbright grant

• 0
Bizzell Library

The Bizzell Library on Sept 9. OU has announced eight recipients for the 2018 Fulbright scholars grant. 

Eight OU graduates have been named 2018 recipients of the Fulbright grant, according to an OU Public Affairs press release.

Of these eight, four will be spending the 2018-2019 school year as English teaching assistants, two will be conducting research and two will be pursuing a Binational Internship in Mexico, the press release said.

Nikolas Aguilera graduated from OU in 2014 with a masters degree in international studies and will be an English teaching assistant in Spain, along with Marisa Brumfield who graduated in 2016 with a bachelors degree in environmental sustainability, according to the release. Blake Barrett, May 2016 graduate, and Carlee Wright, May 2016 graduate, will serve as English teaching assistants in Israel and South Korea, respectively.

Casey Cai, May 2018 graduate with a degree in mathematics and biology, will conduct computational biology research at the Princess Máxima Center for Pediatric Oncology in Utrecht, Netherlands. Ashlynne Macnee, a May 2018 graduate with a degree in microbiology and Chinese, will be conducting research at the University of Stuttgart in Germany, according to the release.

Holly Crawford and Mitchel McCormick both graduated in May 2018 and will be pursuing a Binational Internship in Mexico. Crawford has a degree in international business, entrepreneurship and venture management, while McCormick has a degree in Latin American studies, according to the release.

“We are very proud of our students and their talent and hard work which enabled them to receive these prestigious grants,” Bushra Asif, the Fulbright program advisor at OU, said in the release.

There are also six alternates, Luke Bartz, Erin Donnelly, Erik Flom, Dominic Granello, Nour Kayali and Jeffrey Terry, who may be offered an award if additional funding becomes available.

Correction: This article was updated July 13, 2018 to reflect that Blake Barrett graduated in May of 2016.

Jana Hayes is a senior reporter on The Daily's news desk. She is a journalism senior and has worked at The Daily since her freshman year, having held several reporter and editor positions on both the news and enterprise desks.