OU Daily papers reported missing on north end of campus, police report filed

• 1
Empty rack

An OU Daily newsstand stands empty outside of the Fred Jones Jr. Art Center Sept. 17. Some newsstands were emptied after an article regarding sexual harassment allegations directed towards former School of Drama Director Tom Orr was published on the front page. 

A large number of today’s edition of the OU Daily, which features a front page story on sexual harassment allegations against a drama professor, have gone missing on the north end of campus.

Nick Jungman, director of student media, said he was notified by an unidentified employee in the school of musical theater that papers were missing in the fine arts buildings. Jungman said he estimated there were about 500 papers missing and he filed an incident report at 11 a.m. with the OU Police Department.

Jungman said that when papers disappear in mass amounts, student media treats it as theft. Jungman said he found some missing papers in a recycling bin inside the fine arts center and replaced them, but the others are gone.

“We do take it seriously when papers are taken and the whole OU campus is deprived of the opportunity to pick up a paper,” Jungman said.

Buildings that papers went missing from include the Fine Arts Center, the Physical Science Center, the Chemistry Building Annex, the Nuclear Engineering Laboratory, Price Hall and the Oklahoma Memorial Union. The rack outside the Fred Jones Jr. Art center was also empty.

Anna Bauman contributed to this report.

Jana Allen is a journalism junior and the Daily's enterprise reporter. She was formerly a news reporter, and held several editor positions on the news desk before transitioning to enterprise.