OU College of Law to host town hall to help decide future Facebook policies

• 0
OU College of Law (copy)

The OU College of Law.

Facebook representatives will gather in Norman to take steps toward deciding some of the social networking platform’s future policies, according to a press release from the OU College of Law.

The OU College of Law’s Center for International Business and Human Rights will host a town hall where Facebook representatives will accept feedback on the creation of an “oversight board,” according to the press release, which will provide oversight on “a variety of the company’s content decisions” following a number of legal scandals. The town hall will be open to the public.

According to the release, the meeting is scheduled to last from 11 a.m. to noon Friday, May 31, in the Dick Bell Courtroom at the OU College of Law. It will also be livestreamed on the OU College of Law’s Facebook page, and lunch will be provided afterward.

Brent Harris, leader of a team at Facebook focused on governance and global affairs, and Robert Traynham, one of Facebook’s external affairs leaders, will be present at the meeting, according to the release.

Facebook has held several similar meetings across the world in recent months, with town halls held in Kenya, Singapore, Mexico and India, according to the release. In the U.S., meetings have been held in Silicon Valley, Washington, D.C. and New York City, with Norman soon to join the list.

Facebook announced its intent to organize the oversight board at the end of 2018, according to the release, to serve as “a body of independent experts” who will help implement Facebook’s community standards and examine other challenging content decisions. Facebook has made available a basic outline of the board’s structure, along with key questions for consideration.

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.