OU College of Law associate dean resigns amid controversy surrounding views published in 2014 book

• 5
Brian McCall

Professor and Associate Dean for Academic Affairs of the College of Law Brian McCall. McCall is a part of what the Southern Poverty Law Center characterizes as a hate group.

An associate dean of the OU College of Law has resigned his administrative position after his controversial views and affiliations were uncovered.

Joseph Harroz, OU College of Law dean, released a public statement saying that Brian McCall has voluntarily resigned his position as associate dean for academic affairs amid controversy. The measure is effective immediately, according to the statement.

The Daily reached out to the law school to ask if McCall had also resigned his position as associate director of the law school. Melissa Caperton, director of communications for the law school, responded via email and confirmed that McCall had resigned both administrative positions but retains his professorship. 

The Daily published two stories on McCall — one regarding his ties to a hate publication and one regarding his 2014 book containing views about women’s wearing pants, same-sex marriage and education.

An outside law firm conducted an independent review through OU’s Equal Opportunity Office after McCall’s views were exposed, according to Harroz's statement. The review did not find evidence of workplace harassment or discrimination, the statement said. 

Harroz said in the statement that he does not share McCall’s views but cannot make further comment on the situation.

“My top priority is our students and providing a safe and inclusive environment to learn, grow and work,” Harroz said in the statement. “I will continue to ensure that we focus on these values.”

Harroz will host meetings with students, faculty and staff tomorrow for further discussion, according to the statement.

“Thank you for your attention in this matter,” Harroz said in the statement. “You are always welcome to visit with me about these and other issues at OU Law.”

Clarification: This story was updated at 4:07 p.m. to reflect that The Daily has confirmed that McCall resigned both administrative positions but is still a professor at the university.