OU Board of Regents conducts personnel reviews, approves numerous agenda items in Thursday meeting

• 0
regents (copy)

The OU Board of Regents meets June 27.

SULPHUR, Okla. — The OU Board of Regents met Thursday to address personnel actions and program changes, along with healthcare plan changes and numerous other agenda items including the transfer of some CART transit system assets to the City of Norman.

The regents approved 2020 meeting dates at the meeting’s outset. 

Interim OU President Joseph Harroz presented his report of OU’s fiscal year 2019 expenditures and awards, including several research awards.

Change was made to the regents’ policy salary threshold for faculty and other personnel, increasing it from $60,000 to $100,000. Harroz told the board this move would adjust for inflation, and bridge the gap while the administration standardizes titles before returning to the policy to match best practices.

Adjustments were also approved for OU student and employee healthcare plans. Harroz said this change would unify providers across OU campuses, while they had been different previously. Blue Cross Blue Shield will serve as the new healthcare payor beginning in January 2020, according to the release.

“One healthcare payor provides the university improved services and discounts on medical and pharmacy claims and broader networks to our employees across all three campuses,” Harroz said in the press release.

The regents then went into executive session to consider administrative and personnel actions, including Harroz’s salary, numerous coaches, and many other university personnel. The regents approved a $500,000 annualized salary for Harroz.

The full list of administrative and personnel actions considered in the session can be found on the regents’ agenda item 7. The regents approved the item with some amendments.

Following the June 13 reduction in force and the university’s plan to transfer some CART assets to the city and to lease some of the Theta Dempsey Transportation Center to the city.

According to the release, the regents' vote makes the city the grantee for federal funds for Norman public transportation. OU will assist with the transition of fleet and facilities for Norman’s operation. Campus-area shuttle transportation will continue for the benefit of students and employees.

The regents also approved multiple renovation projects.

Thursday’s meeting followed a June 25 meeting where interim OU President Joseph Harroz presented the OU fiscal year 2020 budget of $2.02 billion, which featured faculty and staff raises and kept undergraduate tuition and fees for the Norman campus constant.

The next OU Board of Regents meeting is scheduled for Sept. 10 and 11, according to the release.

This story was updated 1:20 p.m. to include information on the healthcare provider.

Scott Kirker contributed to this report.