OU Board of Regents chair says work with Jones Day has concluded

• 0
Rainbolt-Forbes (copy)

Regent Leslie Rainbolt-Forbes issues a May 18 statement from the OU Board of Regents selecting Joseph Harroz, former dean of OU's College of Law, as interim OU president.

Following its June 27 meeting, OU Board of Regents Chair Leslie Rainbolt-Forbes told The Daily that the board has concluded its work with the Jones Day law firm.

“They’ve made their report. I’m not aware of any ongoing work that we’re doing with Jones Day at this time,” Rainbolt-Forbes said.

The regents had employed Jones Day to conduct two investigations, one regarding misreporting of alumni donations and another regarding personnel. The university has paid the law firm over $1 million, according to a June 5 report from The Oklahoman.

“Jones Day was only engaged relating to misconduct for one individual,“ a university spokesperson told The Daily after the June 27 meeting.

Confirmation that Jones Day is no longer working with the regents on any ongoing matters comes two weeks after former OU President David Boren separated from the university June 12, losing his role as president emeritus, any possible teaching positions and numerous other benefits he had been receiving.

Boren has been accused of sexual harassment, along with former OU administrator Tripp Hall. The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation opened its own inquiry in March. 

OU alumnus and staff member Levi Hilliard filed a civil lawsuit against Hall May 31 alleging “sexual assault and battery.”

Following Boren’s separation from the university, the regents said his separation concluded the university’s investigation into sexual harassment allegations against him.

Scott Kirker is a letters and Spanish senior and summer editor-in-chief of The Daily. Previously he worked as a news reporter covering research and administrative searches.