OU Black Student Association gives list of demands to university following racist video

• 0
Black Student Association logo

The logo for OU's Black Student Association.

The OU Black Student Association said it is not surprised by the video depicting a student in blackface and using a racial slur posted by OU students Francie Ford, and Olivia Urban and has released a list of demands from the university, according to a statement on Twitter.

The BSA asks that the university have “a zero-tolerance policy of hate speech” in the student code of conduct and that it enhances curriculum “dedicated to the education of social and cultural complacency,” among other things. There will be a “Rally to Stop Racism” at 12:30 p.m. on Jan. 22 on the South Oval in response to the incident.

“There is a violent and painful history concerning the usage of blackface and reducing black people to racist caricatures,” the statement said. “It is unfortunate for us to be in 2019 and this is still happening.”

The statement said students are still waiting for the university to "adequately address" demands given after a video showing Sigma Alpha Epsilon members participating in a racist chant  went viral in 2015.

The BSA encouraged students to contact its executive members with further advice or questions.

Jana Allen is a journalism junior and the Daily's enterprise reporter. She was formerly a news reporter, and held several editor positions on the news desk before transitioning to enterprise.