OU Black Student Association announces creation of emergency response team following recent racist incidents

• 2
Black Student Association logo

The logo for OU's Black Student Association.

OU's Black Student Association announced the creation of an emergency response team to respond to incidents of racism on OU's campus.

The announcement was made at the end of a "Better Together" march that took place from Dale Hall, went to Evans Hall, and ended at the Oklahoma Memorial Union.

Organizers said information about the team, called BERT for BSA Emergency Response Team, was given to OU Provost Kyle Harper during the march. 

According to a BSA press release, the team will respond to "any racial incidents in the future and play a strategic role in making the University of Oklahoma a more inclusive environment." 

The press releases also lists demands of the BSA including a zero-tolerance policy for hate speech, an enhanced 4-year curriculum for education on social and cultural competency, increase in the number of multicultural faculty and staff and increased financial support of multicultural students and programs. 

The creation of the team comes four days after two OU students withdrew from the university for their involvement in a blackface video that used a racial slur and one day after an individual was seen wearing blackface.