You are the owner of this article.
alert

OU Bizzell Memorial Library briefly evacuated due to microwave fire

  • 0
  • 1 min to read
Bizzell Memorial Library (copy)

Students walk into the Bizzell Memorial Library on Aug. 22, 2019.

Students were evacuated from OU's Bizzell Memorial Library for a short time Sunday afternoon after improper use of a microwave caused it to catch fire, a university spokesperson said.

Students were evacuated before 2 p.m., and were let back into the building at about 2:10 p.m. Kesha Keith, OU director of media relations, told The Daily in a text message that fire alarms prompted an evacuation.

A fire marshal investigated and declared the building safe for re-entry before students were allowed to return inside, Keith said in the text message.

Sam Tonkins contributed to this report.

Scott Kirker is a letters and Spanish senior and assistant news managing editor for The Daily. Previously he worked as summer editor-in-chief and as a news reporter covering research and administrative searches.

Support independent journalism serving OU

Do you appreciate the work we do as the only independent media outlet dedicated to serving OU students, faculty, staff and alumni on campus and around the world for more than 100 years?

Then consider helping fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please SUPPORT US TODAY FOR AS LITTLE AS $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.

Load comments