OU alumni become first women to hold top senior positions in Oklahoma Department of Transportation

• 0
Seed Sower and South Oval (copy)

The Seed Sower statue in front of the South Oval on Oct 10.

Two OU alumni made Oklahoma history when they were appointed to top positions in the Oklahoma Department of Transportation.

According to a press release from the Oklahoma Department of Transportation, Tim Gatz, Oklahoma secretary of transportation, appointed Dawn Sullivan as deputy director of the department of transportation June 7. He also appointed Terri Angier to the newly created position of interagency liaison.

Sullivan is the first woman to be appointed deputy director of the department, according to the release, and the first to fill a senior staff position. Sullivan will oversee day-to-day administration and planning, according to the release.

Sullivan has been a professional engineer for over 20 years, according to the release, and earned her degree in civil engineering from OU, where she was also part of the OU Bridge Design Squad, a group of students which works with the Oklahoma Department of Transportation to design bridges.

According to the release, Angier is one of the first women to hold a top senior staff position at the department. Angier will serve as the interagency liaison for the department, Oklahoma Turnpike Authority and the Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission, and continue to serve as chief of the media and public relations divisions of the department.

According to the release, Angier has worked at the department for over three decades, and has a bachelor’s degree in anthropology and a master’s in journalism, both from OU.