Norman representative chosen as state House minority leader

Rep. Emily Virgin

Rep. Emily Virgin talks to students during the LGBTQ vigil Sept 28.

Norman Rep. Emily Virgin has been chosen to lead the Democratic caucus as House minority leader in the upcoming legislative session. 

After a vote among the Democratic caucus in the Oklahoma Legislature Nov. 15, Virgin was chosen to lead Democrats in the state House in Oklahoma's 56th Legislature, according to a press release from the Oklahoma Democratic Party. 

“It’s humbling that the caucus has faith in me to lead during this important time in Oklahoma’s statehood,” Virgin said. “I am proud to represent women in this endeavor, but make no mistake, our caucus is focused on including all Oklahomans in the conversation regardless of gender, race or income level."

Virgin, who was first elected to the state House in 2010, represents the parts of Norman that include OU. 

Virgin has run unopposed in every election since her first in 2010, according to Ballotpedia. 

"This caucus moved the state in a positive direction last session and helped guarantee the largest teacher pay raise in state history," Virgin said. "We will fight to build on this success – not only in education but also in access to health care, expansion of mental health services, criminal justice reform, and providing opportunities for quality employment in Oklahoma communities.”