Norman Police Department creates community advisory board to increase transparency

• 0
Norman PD (copy)

A Norman Police Department vehicle outside the NPD office Sept. 13,2017. The department is creating a community advisory board to increase transparency.

The Norman Police Department has announced the creation of a Norman Citizens Advisory Board to increase transparency and community partnerships. 

The board will help advise the police chief on issues regarding police-community relations and community outreach, according to an NPD press release. The group, meant to be representative of Norman, will be formed with the help of the Department of Justice, Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 122 and Norman Citizens for Racial Justice. 

“All involved in the creation of NCAB share a vision of the purpose and scope of the board,” Keith Humphrey, Norman Police Chief, said in a press release. 

The purpose of the board is to review various department investigations and enhance community trust, according to the press release. The board will be inclusive of differences in race, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion and disability, the press release said. All Norman residents are invited to apply to become board members. 

Residents can learn more about the advisory board at an informational session at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 26, at the Norman Public Library East. 

"I believe members of NCAB will bring a vast level of expertise from outside of law enforcement, in order to help me make better-informed decisions taking into account outside perspectives and community impact," Humphrey said in the press release. 

Anna Bauman is an English senior and the Daily's news managing editor who has previously worked as assistant news managing editor, news editor and news reporter.