Norman PD officer puts escaped donkey into squad car

• 0
Officer puts donkey in cop car

Norman Police Department officer Kyle Canaan puts a donkey in his car Dec. 1, 2015. The call about the donkey came from the 8100 block of 120th Avenue NE.

UPDATE, 1:09 p.m. Dec. 1 — Norman PD officer Kyle Canaan said the donkey defecated in his squad car after he lured it into it with feed.

Canaan said immediately after he dropped the donkey off at a pen on the land of a neighbor in the area, he took his squad car to a car wash and power washed his back seat. 

"It was a huge mess in the back, huge mess," Canaan said. 

He added that the donkey was friendly and would be kept in the neighbor's pen until the owner is located or animal control comes to pick it up. 

Read the original report below.

________________________________________________________________

Early Tuesday morning, Norman Police Department officer Kyle Canaan responded to a call about a loose donkey walking around a rural Norman area.

The call came from the 8100 block of 120th Avenue NE and was reported by a possible neighbor of the unknown donkey owner.

Sarah Jensen, Norman PD public safety information officer, said the donkey was wandering about when officer Canaan responded to the call and decided that rather than let the donkey wander, it would be safer to put the donkey into the back of his squad car.

“He believed he could fit the donkey into the back of his squad car, so he did,” Jensen said.

The donkey is currently being kept in a pen on the land of the neighbor who made the call and was safely transported there by officer Canaan, Jensen continued.

Jensen said she currently does not have any specifics or details on how Canaan got the donkey in the squad car, or any details about the donkey's name or home.

The owner of the donkey has not been found or contacted yet, however, Jensen said that the Norman PD is looking for them now.

We will update this story as more information becomes available. 

Tanner Osborne is a journalism freshman and news reporter at the Daily.