Norman City Council appoints new city manager

• 0
Pyle (copy)

Darrel Pyle was named Norman city manager June 12. Photo by the City of Norman.

The Norman City Council voted Tuesday to appoint Darrel Pyle as city manager, where he will oversee the day-to-day operations of the city.

According to a press release from the City of Norman, Pyle will replace Mary Rupp, the current interim city manager, effective July 15. The City Council set his annual base salary at $170,000.

According to the press release, Pyle previously served seven years as the city manager of Hanford, California.

“I fell in love with the city’s vibrant community when my son was a student at the University of Oklahoma and have looked for an opportunity to move here ever since,” Pyle said in the press release. “I look forward to meeting residents and business leaders and becoming part of the community.”

During his time in Hanford, Pyle negotiated economic development agreements for projects that resulted in the development of new jobs and industries in the city. He was responsible for a full-service municipal government with 290 full-time employees and a budget of $71 million, according to the release.

The position of Norman City Manager has a staff of 883 employees and a budget of $265 million. Pyle will report directly to City Council, according to the release.

Six candidates were interviewed by the Norman City Council in April. Pyle was called back for a second interview in May, according to the release.

“This position is critical to the proper functioning of our city government, and we see in Darrel a really positive fit with his many years of city manager experience, his optimism and his eagerness to get started,” Norman Mayor Lynne Miller said in the release.