New Vice President of University Community to oversee campus diversity issues

• 0

OU President David Boren announced the creation of the position of the Vice President of the University Community, a new position which will oversee all university diversity positions.

The Vice President of the University Community will work with the office of student affairs as well as with Boren and college deans in order to ensure that both the student and faculty bodies become more inclusive and diverse, according to a press release.

Boren decided to create this position two months ago, the press release said. He has since been in private negotiations with his primary candidate for the position, described as "an outstanding African American candidate," according to the press release.

When hired, the Vice President will report directly to Boren, according to the press release.

A representative for OU's diversity advocacy group, OU Unheard, said that OU is the only university in the Big 12 to not have a position devoted to promoting diversity on campus.

Michael Brestovansky is a public relations senior who currently works as an assistant campus editor for The Daily. Mike has previously worked as a campus reporter at The Daily.