Man dies following train collision at Acres Street railroad crossing

• 0
Amtrak in Norman (copy)

The Amtrak train crossing Lindsey Street Jan. 16, 2017. 

The Norman Police Department is investigating a Friday morning collision between a train and a pedestrian.

According to an NPD press release, police responded to a report of the collision at approximately 6:30 a.m. Friday. Police identified a man deceased on the tracks from injuries sustained in the collision.

The initial investigation into the incident found the man stepped in front of the train, according to the release. The train engineer said in the release that he saw the man and sounded the horn, but the man did not heed the warning.

The collision remains under investigation, according to the release.

Due to the investigation, the railroad crossings at Acres Street, Gray Street, Main Street and Eufaula Street were closed for approximately two hours, according to the release.

All railroad crossings have now been reopened, according to the release. Identification of the deceased man is pending proper notifications.

Tags

Scott Kirker is a letters and Spanish senior and summer editor-in-chief of The Daily. Previously he worked as a news reporter covering research and administrative searches.