Last week in the news: candidates debate, OU beats TCU, Black Lives Matter OKC holds vigil

• 0

PRESIDENTIAL HOPEFULS DUKE IT OUT, BUT WHERE DO THEY STAND?

WHAT NOW?

Last Monday, presidential nominees Hillary Clinton, Democrat, and Donald Trump, Republican, faced off on CNN in the first presidential debate.

IN SUMMARY

While they discussed issues ranging from terrorism to economic prosperity, both Trump and Clinton also opened up and aired some potentially dirty laundry to show how transparent they really are. Whether or not the event had a clear winner, there was significant flip-flopping by the candidates throughout. Need some extra help breaking down the debate? Check out what local political science and communications professors told us.

CRIMSON AND CREAM REIGN IN FORT WORTH

WHAT NOW?

The Sooners beat TCU's Horned Frogs 52-46, a victory due in large part to the efforts of running backs Samaje Perine and Joe Mixon. Completing their first interception of the season and maintaining an unbreakable defense in the third quarter might've helped, too. 

THIRD VICTIM OF TRAIN-PEDESTRIAN COLLISION HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED

WHAT NOW?

Michael Andrew Railly was recently identified as the third person to have been killed in a pedestriantrain collision during the month of September. 

LOOKING FOR CHANGE AND ACCOUNTABILITY

WHAT NOW?

Black Lives Matter OKC held a vigil Friday night at East Sixth Street Christian Church for Terence Crutcher, the victim of a recent police shooting in Tulsa. The church's own Rev. Jesse Jackson knew Crutcher personally and spoke at the event, calling for systemic change.

PROTEST RESULTING IN PROTEST

WHAT NOW?

The American Indian Movement, a Native American advocacy organization, is planning to protest at the fraternity Phi Delta Theta on Oct. 8 due to an alleged dispute between the fraternity members and those who protested Trump when he was in Norman. Fraternity members allegedly singled out Native American protestors during the Trump protest and told them to leave, using racial slurs and obscene language.