Gender + Equality Center temporarily relocates, will move into new office by fall semester

• 0
Gender and Equality Center (copy)

The Gender and Equality Center on Oct. 22. The GEC has moved from suite 247 to the Frontier Room of the student union.

The OU Gender + Equality center has moved from its previous location, and will be located in a temporary office until the fall semester.

According to a July 12 Facebook post from the GEC page, the office will be located on the Oklahoma Memorial Union’s second floor in the Frontier Room, across from the University Club, until it moves into its new permanent space.

Erin Simpson, the director of the GEC, said the new GEC offices will be located at the back of Beaird Lounge. The new space is currently under construction, Simpson said, and will be larger than the GEC’s previous location.

The GEC hopes to move into the permanent office by October, Simpson said.

When the permanent office opens, the hallway outside will include two new gender-inclusive bathrooms, Simpson said, the first gender-inclusive restrooms to be installed in the student union.

“We’re really excited about (the Student Government Association) and Student Affairs investing in new and improved spaces for things like gender-inclusive bathrooms and things for the Gender + Equality Center,” Simpson said. “ We’re excited about that future spot.”