breaking featured

Former OU President David Boren submits resignation letter, cuts ties with OU

• 2
David Boren (copy)

Former OU President David Boren at his birthday celebration in April 2018. A spokesperson for Boren denied apparent allegations of sexual harassment against Boren. 

Former OU President David Boren has cut all remaining ties with the university, as first reported by The Oklahoman.

In a two-page resignation letter submitted to OU Wednesday, Boren agreed to surrender his president emeritus status. Boren will no longer teach political science at the university and will give up his free tickets to OU sporting events, according to the article.

Additionally, Boren will lose his rights to a teaching assistant, an administrative assistant, a campus office and a parking space, according to the article.

The university has no plans to remove the statue or any other likeness of Boren at this time, a university spokesperson told The Daily Wednesday. The university may reconsider the decision not to remove likenesses of Boren depending on the results of the OSBI investigation or potential grand jury proceedings.

The resignation comes as the investigation into sexual misconduct accusations against Boren is still ongoing, according to the article.

In the article, Boren's attorney, Clark Brewster, said Boren felt it was best for OU if he stepped away.

"David Boren no longer has any relationship going forward with the University as a result of his resignation," said Leslie Rainbolt-Forbes, chairman of the OU Board of Regents. "We have worked very hard to bring to a close the Title IX issue between David Boren and the University of Oklahoma while respecting those individuals involved who desire to maintain their privacy."

Jess Eddy, a former OU student and employee who accused Boren of sexual misconduct, said this is a big step in moving forward.

"This is an important step toward healing at the university," Eddy said, "and the next steps include learning how this abuse was able to happen and how to prevent it from happening again, and I look forward to an era of accountability at OU in the future."

The Oklahoman reported the grand jury is expected to meet next week regarding the Boren investigation.

This article has been updated to include more information than was available when originally published.