Former OU President David Boren releases statement addressing resignation, separation from OU

• 2
Boren (copy)

President Boren holds up his hand during the OU Chant April 20.

On Thursday former OU President David Boren released a statement through his attorney, Clark Brewster, addressing his decision to resign as president emeritus Wednesday.

Boren released the statement a day after he submitted a resignation letter to the OU Board of Regents, surrendering his president emeritus status and cutting remaining ties with the university.

“I deeply love the University of Oklahoma. The over 24 years I served at the University were the most rewarding years of my life.  I will always be a supporter of the University and care about the university family,” Boren said in the statement.

Boren said he decided to resign to stop further damage to OU and the people involved.

“Last  year, I  came under  a personal attack  that was so vicious  and relentless that it defied  my comprehension,” Boren said in the statement. “As I wrote to the Regents, I felt that it was best to resolve this matter rather than continue  a battle which was damaging lives and the University itself.”

In the statement, Boren said while he was “tempted” to continue the legal battle to protect his reputation and prove his innocence, he felt it was best to “suggest a resolution to end this divisive and unfair controversy.”

Boren said in the statement he has “only the best wishes” for OU moving forward.