Former OU President David Boren accuser's account "generally credible" according to Jones Day report excerpt

• 0
Jess Eddy (copy)

Jess Eddy, a former OU staff member and alumnus who has accused former OU President David Boren of sexual misconduct, speaks in front of Evans Hall May 15.

Four pages of the Jones Day report on its investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against former OU President David Boren describe Eddy’s accounts of Boren’s sexual conduct as “generally credible,” saying that his account matches with the stories of six witnesses to other incidents.

Jess Eddy, who has accused former OU President David Boren of sexual misconduct, received access Tuesday to four pages of the Jones Day law firm’s report on its investigation into allegations against Boren.

The description of Eddy’s testimony was included in the Jones Day report. Eddy was given access to the section of the report that focused on his testimony. An OU official provided Eddy with access to the pages of the report Tuesday. Eddy later provided screenshots of the pages to The Daily and other media outlets.

Only Eddy’s and Boren’s names are used in the four pages of the report. Other former senior administrators and witnesses are referred to, but not named.

The report says Eddy met with Jones Day on Feb. 13 and again on March 26.

The report describes Eddy’s March 26 account of his experience on a trip to Houston in which Boren asked Eddy to purchase alcohol and drank with him privately. Eddy’s account was first reported by NonDoc the same day.

The excerpt says that while Eddy's account matches with descriptions of Boren's sexual conduct from other "witnesses" and Jones Day could confirm his March 26 account as "generally credible," it also acknowledges possible credibility issues raised by Eddy's varying accounts.

"Jones Day determined that Mr. Eddy provided generally reliable information during his second interview with respect to President Boren’s sexual conduct," the report excerpt said. "That said, Jones Day acknowledges the credibility issues raised by Mr. Eddy’s varying accounts and his conduct related to the same. Thus, Jones Day notes that the core findings and conclusions in this Report do not rely heavily and certainly not exclusively on Mr. Eddy’s statements.”

In a statement that Eddy gave to The Daily along with screenshots of the report excerpt, he said that he decided to release the screenshots because the public "has the right to know." Eddy also said the handling of the matter by the university and the OU Board of Regents was "questionable, if not flat out unlawful."

"Now that I am in possession of (the report excerpt), I’m not going to do what OU has been doing and keep it secret," Eddy said in the statement. "The report cost OU students and taxpaying Oklahomans over half a million dollars. The public has the right to know. They paid for it."

Eddy's viewing of the report excerpt came three days after The Oklahoman reported that the Jones Day report had been given to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. OSBI began its own investigation in March into allegations against Boren and former OU administrator Tripp Hall.

Screenshots of the four pages provided to Eddy can be read below.

jones day screenshot 1 (copy)
jones day screenshot 2
jones day screenshot 3
jones day screenshot 4

This story will be updated with more information.

This story was updated May 28 at 6:45 p.m. to include screenshots of the Jones Day report excerpt provided to Eddy.

This story was updated May 28 at 6:50 p.m. to include additional Jones Day analysis on Eddy's account from the report excerpt.

This story was updated at May 28 at 7:00 p.m. to include an excerpt of Eddy's statement and additional context on the Jones Day report and OSBI investigation.

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.

Scott Kirker is a letters and Spanish senior and summer editor-in-chief of The Daily. Previously he worked as a news reporter covering research and administrative searches.