Former OU associate provost returns to serve as vice provost for instruction after one year at alma mater

• 0
Mark Morvant (copy)

Associate Provost Mark Morvant talks with a reporter May 15.

Former OU associate provost Mark Morvant has returned to OU following his departure to pursue a position at his alma mater. 

Morvant is returning to OU after a year at Tarleton State University, where he worked as associate vice president for academic administration and professor of chemistry according to a July 12 tweet from the OU Office of Diversity and Inclusion. 

Morvant will serve as OU vice provost for instruction and student success, according to the tweet.

Morvant had worked at OU since 2006 before departing in May 2018. According to an article from The Daily, Morvant said he left for Tarleton to be closer to his parents. 

"It's everybody's dream job to get to work at the university they grew up around," Morvant told The Daily in the May 2018 article. 

According to the tweet, Morvant was previously associate provost for teaching technology and a professor of chemistry and biochemistry at OU. He served as the first senior fellow of the residential college and was “integral” in the establishment of Dunham residential college, according to the post. 

Morvant also helped create and served as the director of the Center of Teaching Excellence, where the university transitioned into the Canvas LMS platform for learning. 

According to the post, Morvant’s career has been focused on enhancing student learning beyond the classroom. Morvant established the study abroad program “Chemistry in Italy,” and has been awarded the Regent’s Award for Superior Teaching, along with the College of Arts and Sciences’ Longmire’s Prize for Outstanding Teaching for his efforts.