alert featured

Former OU administrator Tripp Hall faces lawsuit alleging 'sexual assault and battery'

• 0
Levi Hilliard (copy)

Levi Hilliard, an OU staff member and alumnus, speaks in front of Evans Hall May 15. Hilliard filed a lawsuit May 31 against former OU administrator Tripp Hall.

Levi Hilliard, who has publicly accused former OU vice president Tripp Hall of sexual harassment, began a civil lawsuit against Hall, as first reported by The Oklahoman June 18.

The lawsuit, which alleges Hall committed "multiple instances of sexual assault and battery against (Hilliard's) person" in 2017 and 2018, was filed May 31 in Cleveland County District Court.

The lawsuit also alleges Hall committed intentional infliction of emotional distress against Hilliard. The lawsuit says Hall's "intentional, egregious and outrageous conduct against (Hilliard) caused prolonged and severe emotional distress that continues to the present."

Hilliard is seeking "relief in excess of $75,000" in actual, compensatory and punitive damages.

According to the report from The Oklahoman, Hilliard has also filed a notice of tort claim against the university, which would seek $350,000 over alleged "negligent supervision" of Hall and other negligence. A notice of tort claim often leads to a lawsuit, according to the report.

The lawsuit against Hall was filed two weeks before former OU President David Boren, who has also been accused of sexual harassment, resigned as president emeritus and separated from the university. The lawsuit does not involve Boren.

The lawsuit comes after months of investigation by the Jones Day law firm and the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation into allegations of sexual harassment against Boren and Hall.

This article was corrected at 7:08 p.m. June 18 to accurately describe the notice of tort claim that Hilliard has filed.

Scott Kirker is a letters and Spanish senior and summer editor-in-chief of The Daily. Previously he worked as a news reporter covering research and administrative searches.