Donald Trump set to try to connect with Oklahoma Friday at the State Fair

• 0
The Late Show Donald Trump

In this photo provided by CBS, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, left, joins host Stephen Colbert on the set of “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert,” Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2015, in New York. 

Republican candidate Donald Trump is set to speak at the Oklahoma State Fair on Friday.

The fair administration was informed about the candidate coming to Oklahoma City a couple of weeks ago and was officially confirmed on Sept. 19, said J. Scott Munz, the Oklahoma State Fair President.

State Sen. Ralph Shortey was in contact with Trump’s administration to plan an event in which Trump could speak and meet the voters of Oklahoma.

“There is no doubt that he connects with a conservative state like Oklahoma. We’re calling this the real red state rally,” Shortey said in an interview with KFOR.

Nevertheless, due to some of his controversial speeches, an immigrant rights group is set to protest outside the state fair upon Trump’s visit to the fair, according to NewsOK.

“We’re extremely upset to hear Donald Trump will be visiting our great state this Friday," the group said in the article. "His hateful rhetoric has created a hostile environment for Latinos, immigrants and people of color across the country. He has painted our community in a bad light, and we strongly feel he is not representative of our state.”

When asked what Trump might be speaking about at the event, Munz stated he was clueless.

“I don’t know,” he said. “[Trump] didn’t give me his script.”

Trump’s speech at the Band-Shell stadium did raise some scheduling conflicts with two acts; however, Munz said they just rescheduled them for another time. Details on those events were unknown.

The controversial candidate is supposed to step foot in Oklahoma City tomorrow, entering the fair at 5:30 p.m. and speaking at 6:30 p.m. 

Brianna Sims is a journalism freshman and news reporter at the Daily.