Democratic presidential candidate and former Texas congressman Beto O'Rourke to visit OU

• 0
Beto (copy) (copy)

Democratic nomination candidate Beto O'Rourke (right) speaks with Taz Al-Michael, president of the College Democrats of Oklahoma.

Democratic presidential candidate and former El Paso congressman Beto O’Rourke will visit OU Aug. 19.

O’Rourke’s campaign will stop in Tulsa Sunday and Monday, according to the Tulsa World, and visit OU later that day at Volare Pizzeria Bar + Lounge, according to the campaign. 

Taz Al-Michael, president of College Democrats of Oklahoma, confirmed that O’Rourke would visit campus Monday. According to an email from the O'Rourke campaign which a supporter shared with The Daily, O'Rourke will hold a rally at 3:45 p.m. Monday at Volare.

According to a press release tweeted Saturday by a KFOR reporter, Beto will visit Black Wall Street in Tulsa's Greenwood neighborhood on Monday, as well as the Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum.

Oklahoma City Mayor David Holt tweeted that every presidential candidate should visit the memorial.

O’Rourke resumed his campaign Thursday following a 12-day hiatus after the deadly shooting in his hometown of El Paso, which claimed 22 lives.

This post was updated at 2:14 p.m., 6:53 p.m. and 8:36 p.m. Saturday to add more details about O'Rourke's visit to Oklahoma.

news managing editor

Jordan Miller is a journalism and political science junior serving as The Daily's news managing editor. Previously she served as The Daily's spring 2019 news editor, fall 2018 assistant visual editor and was an SGA beat reporter.