OU freshman and triple-murder defendant Alan Hruby has been sentenced to three years in prison along with a $1,500 fine for fraudulently opening a credit card in the name of his grandmother.

The sentence follows Hruby's initial charge of credit card fraud in August of last year. He pleaded guilty to the charge in January and was placed in a delayed sentencing program.

In October, Hruby confessed to shooting and killing his parents John Hruby and Tinker Hruby, and his sister, Katherine Hruby. The delayed sentencing was revoked after he was charged with three counts of first-degree murder.

Hruby admitted that his reason for the murders was to become the sole heir of his parents' wealth. The killings happened shortly after Hruby was financially cut off from his parents.

Police believe Hruby charged $4,891 to the fraudulent credit card during a trip to Europe.

John Hruby was publisher of the weekly newspaper The Marlow Review and his wife worked there.

Hruby, 19, is also ordered to pay $5,980 in restitution.

A preliminary hearing conference in that case is scheduled for Dec. 17.

Paris Burris is The Oklahoma Daily's web editor. She is a journalism and political science senior. Her past includes Politico, The Oklahoman/NewsOK.com, The Journal Record Legislative Report and the Pioneer.