featured top story

'Boomer Sooner' causes controversy at OU Undergraduate Student Congress meeting

• 10
Undergraduate Student Congress Votes on "Boomer Sooner" resolution

Representatives on the Undergraduate Student Congress vote against the passing of a resolution that included the words "Boomer Sooner" April 19. Some of those who opposed argued that the phrase is controversial while others worried that it would show favoritism to the athletic department.

The Undergraduate Student Congress voted against a resolution Tuesday amid concerns of the resolution’s use of the phrase “Boomer Sooner.”

The resolution, authored by Humanities Representative Brian Owings, would have been Congress publicly saying “Boomer Sooner” to congratulate OU athletic teams. The resolution would then have been distributed to representatives of those respective teams.

Another representative proposed a hostile amendment to strike the phrase “Boomer Sooner” due to the controversy surrounding it, but the amendment was defeated by a hand vote.

Opponents of the resolution argued against it because of the controversy of the phrase "Boomer Sooner," an issue brought to the forefront in September by student group Indigenize OU, which argued that the phrase contributes to the erasure of Native people and their history. Others worried that it would show favoritism to sports teams over other campus groups.

The resolution was defeated by a vote of 13 for and 20 against, with 1 representative abstaining.

Boomer Sooner
Sooner Resolution
Boomer sooner resolution