Bernie Sanders, Donald Trump lead in latest Oklahoma poll

Sen. Bernie Sanders

Sen. Bernie Sanders addresses the crowd at his rally at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City Feb. 28. In a Monmouth University poll released Monday, Sanders led Hillary Clinton in the state.

A new poll released Monday shows Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and businessman Donald Trump leading their respective parties in Oklahoma before Tuesday's primary elections.

The Monmouth University poll shows the Democratic race is much closer than the Republican race. Sanders leads Hillary Clinton 48 percent to 43 percent, respectively, which is within the poll's margin of error.

On the Republican side, Trump garners 35 percent of the support in the Sooner state, with Texas Sen. Ted Cruz edging Florida Sen. Marco Rubio 23 percent to 22 percent, respectively.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich and Dr. Ben Carson both were in the single digits.

The margin of error for the Republican poll was 4.9 percent.

The poll reports 52 percent of Democratic voters saying they are locked in with their candidate, while 44 percent of Republicans said the same.

According to forecasts at fivethirtyeight.com, Sanders has an 84 percent chance of winning the Democratic primary in Oklahoma, while Trump has a 65 percent chance of winning the Oklahoman Republican primary.

Jesse Pound is a journalism and economics senior and the Editor in Chief of The Daily. He has previously worked as a business intern at The Oklahoman and The San Antonio Express-News.