Associate provost, Dunham senior fellow leaving OU for position at alma mater

• 0
Mark Morvant

Associate Provost Mark Morvant talks with a reporter May 15.

An OU administrator and senior fellow of OU's Dunham residential college will be leaving the university to accept a position as associate vice president at Tarleton State University. 

Mark Morvant, who has worked at OU since 2006, has been an associate provost at OU since 2014. Morvant said he accepted the position at Tarleton, his alma mater, to be closer to his parents. 

"It's everybody's dream job to get to work at the university they grew up around," Morvant said. 

Morvant received his doctorate at OU in the 1990s and said he has witnessed the changes the university experienced under President David Boren's tenure. 

"The campus looks completely different from when I first got here," Morvant said. "The future of the university is extraordinarily bright." 

Morvant said the university has a lot of strong opportunities during James Gallogly's administration and that he doesn't expect OU to change that drastically. He also expects Dunham to continue to see success under whoever would take his place as senior fellow. 

"I have no idea who its going to be, but it should be somebody who cares about students and listens to them," Morvant said.

Morvant said OU will always be home for him and that he wanted to tell the OU community "Boomer Sooner" one last time before he left.  

Nick Hazelrigg is a political science senior and The Daily's editor-in-chief. Previously he served as The Daily's news managing editor.