Samuel Shem

On Wednesday, April 8th CAC Speakers Bureau is bringing Samuel Shem, M.D. Ph.D. to OU. The event will be at 7:00 pm in the Molly Shi Boren Ballroom of the Oklahoma Memorial Union. Samuel Shem, pen-name of Stephen Bergman, is a doctor, novelist, playwright and activist. A graduate of Harvard Phi Beta Kappa, a Rhodes scholar at Balliol College Oxford, and a graduate of Harvard Medical School, he was on the faculty of Harvard for three decades, and is currently Clinical Professor of Medicine in Medical Humanities, Literature, and Bioethics at New York University Medical School.

Psychiatrist and author Stephen Joseph Bergman will visit OU to discuss how to practice medicine with humanity as part of Campus Activities Council’s Speakers Bureau.

Bergman — who writes under the pen name Samuel Shem — will speak at 7 p.m. on April 8 in Oklahoma Memorial Union’s Molly Shi Boren Ballroom. The event, titled “Remaining Human in Medicine,” will include a question and answer session as well as a book signing, said Veronica Hassink, CAC Speakers Bureau chair.

Bergman wrote the 1978 satirical novel “The House of God,” which detailed the harrowing experiences of first-year medical interns. Bergman published a sequel in 1996 titled "Mount Misery," which centers on doctor and patient experiences in psychiatric hospitals.

At the event, which is free and open to the public, attendees can purchase copies of “The House of God” as well as “Mount Misery” to be signed, Hassink said.

While the event may seem directed toward pre-med students, Hassink said Bergman’s talk has universal appeal because it will discuss the struggle to find balance between one’s personal and professional life.

“That’s relevant not only in the medical field but in all of our lives, straddling the line between personal and professional,” Hassink said.

Paighten Harkins is a journalism senior and the digital managing editor for The Daily. She has previously served as campus editor, assistant campus editor and a campus reporter.