Dorm-able Recipe: Barbecue Chicken and Potato Chips
Looking for relief from the cafeteria, but only have a microwave to cook with?
Try this 'dorm-able' recipe below.
Microwave Barbecue Chicken
1 Chicken breast
4 tablespoons barbecue sauce
1) Put the chicken on a microwaveable plate and slice the chicken breast into thirds.
2) Spread barbecue sauce over each chicken breast, making sure to cover the visible surface entirely.
3) Place in microwave and set on high for three minutes.
4) Baste with more barbecue sauce when timer is up, and rearrange the chicken on the plate.
5) Put chicken back in the microwave on high for five minutes.
6) Let stand in microwave for 2 minutes and then remove the chicken from the microwave. Be careful-- it will be hot.
Remember: Always check chicken by cutting it in half, making sure it is white all the way through. It is dangerous to eat undercooked poultry!
Most likely, at this point, there will be barbecue sauce all over your plate. Don't worry- with a little bit of soaking, it will come off.
Looking for an easy side?
Try Healthy Potato Chips
1 large potato
Onion and garlic salt to taste (optional)
1) Scrub potato completely.
2) Cut into ultra-thin slices — the thinner the better.
3) Arrange the slices in a single layer on a microwaveable plate.
4) Sprinkle the slices with your choice of seasonings. In this case, I chose onion powder.
5) Microwave on high for five minutes. Check potatoes for crispiness.
As I sat down to try my nuked chicken, I was sure the meat was going to be a dry, rubbery disaster. When I took my first bite, I was pleasantly surprised. Though it was a little dry due to overcooking, the chicken proved to be tasty. In fact, it tasted like the barbecue chicken my mom made in the oven.
The potato chips were a slight disappointment, but I find fault in my slicing technique, not the recipe. Unable to slice my potato evenly and thinly, I had some undercooked potato chunks instead of chips. Though they were varying in taste, they made a perfect compliment to my dish.
Have you made crazy dorm food? Comment below with the weirdest thing you've made in a microwave.