UCO music festival to feature empowering performances by local female artists

• 0
Sophia and Grace Babb

Sophia and Grace Babb perform during Annie Oakley's debut album kickstarter at the Blue Door in Oklahoma City Aug. 17.

Local Americana group, The Annie Oakley is among the headliners at the ACM@UCO’s .WAV Festival.

The .WAV festival is organized by the Women’s Audio Vision (.WAV) student organization of the Academy of Contemporary Music at the University of Central Oklahoma, as a part of the Metro Music Series.

The festival will be March 2-3, with both days featuring empowering performances by female artists, including the festival headliner Noname. Miillie Mesh, Ciara Brooke, Lauryn Hardiman and Creeping Toms are among the many artists that will represent genres like grunge pop, Americana, blues, folk, hip-hop and more.

“We think .WAV Fest is important because not only are we representing ACM to show how vital the work they’re doing is in Oklahoma, but also to show how many women and female-identifying people are working in the arts in Oklahoma City to help shape the scene,” said Katie Carmichael, student president of .WAV.

The festival is also doubling as a food drive for Sisu Youth Services, an Oklahoma City based non-profit organization that assists homeless youth living in the community. While festival admission is free aside from Noname’s ticketed show on March 3, everyone attending the event is encouraged to donate non-perishable food items.

The Annie Oakley will give a free performance at 8 p.m. in the Songwriting room at the AMC@UCO campus, 25 S. Oklahoma Ave., in Bricktown. A detailed list of performance days and times can be found at acm-uco.eventbrite.com.