Tony Hawk to skate at grand opening of Oklahoma City skate park

• 0
Mat Hoffman Action Sports Park

Mat Hoffman Action Sports Park at 1700 S. Robinson Ave., one of city's skate parks, suitable for BMX and boarding. 

Tony Hawk and other members of the Birdhouse Skateboard Company will skate at the grand opening of a new skate park in Oklahoma City.

According to the company’s website, Birdhouse is a skateboard company that was started by Tony Hawk in 1992. The company includes several professional skateboarders who tour the world and also sells skateboards, wheels, and other accessories.

The new skate park is located in the Stars & Stripes park, which is near Lake Hefner.

Stacey Hamm, OKC Parks and Recreation marketing and public information manager, said the skate park has been available to the public since early February, but this event will serve as the park’s official opening.

Hamm said the new park is a big deal for the local skateboarding community, who wanted a large park in order to put on different events and shows.

“We have a few skateboard parks, but they are really small,” Hamm said. “This is one of the largest ones.”

Hamm said the Birdhouse Skateboard Company approached the OKC Parks and Recreation service and asked to host an event at the new skate park. She said the service agreed to sponsor the event and use it as a way to officially open the park.

At the opening, attendees will be able to watch the professional skaters do tricks for the first half of the event. Later, they will get the chance to skate alongside the Birdhouse team.

The event will also include a meet-and-greet with Hawk and the other skaters.

“Everybody will get a chance to meet Tony and Clint and some of the other pros that are in town and take pictures,” Hamm said.

The event will begin at 1 p.m. on April 14 at Stars & Stripes Park. The park is located at 3701 S Lake Hefner Dr. in Oklahoma City.  

The event is free and open to the public.

Sam Tonkins is an English sophomore and a culture reporter for the OU Daily.