Q&A with LA-based band Badflower set to perform in Oklahoma City

• 0
badflower

Los Angeles-based rock band Badflower will perform on Feb. 28 at Diamond Ballroom. The Daily spoke with the band's lead singer, Josh Katz, about their upcoming album and tour. 

Los Angeles-based rock band Badflower will perform on Feb. 28 at the Diamond Ballroom in Oklahoma City.

Badflower is supporting the San Antonio-based band Nothing More on their “The Truth” tour, which includes performances in New York City, New Orleans and Houston. A portion of the tour’s ticket sales will go the the organization To Write Love on Her Arms in order to support mental health awareness.

According to a press release, Badflower is nominated for Best New Rock/Alternative Rock artist for the 2019 iHeartRadio Music Awards, and recently performed on The Late Late Show with James Corden.

The band will release their new album “Ok, I’m Sick” on Feb. 22.

Josh Katz is the lead singer of Badflower. The Daily spoke with Katz ahead of the band’s performance.

How would you describe your style of music?

I would describe it as honest, confronting and literal.

Could you expand on that?

We’ve really put a lot of focus on our lyrics. We don’t try to overdo it musically. We’re not trying to reinvent the wheel when it comes to the music. We just do what feels right. When it comes to lyrics, we really try to tell stories and stay current and stay authentic, and do something that isn’t cliché and do something that hasn’t really been done before. And not just to do that. We’re not doing it just for the sake of doing it. We’re doing it because — at least for me as the primary lyric writer — I have a lot to say, and it’s a lot easier for me to do it through music than through any other channel. This is what we’ve decided to do. 

What can you tell me about the new album coming out?

I can tell you that it’s all of those things I just described. It’s a very modern ... attempt at a rock album. We’re really proud of it. It doesn’t really sound like what other rock bands are sounding like today, I think. Again, it’s mainly lyrically. I feel like when I stay on top of other rock bands and sort of what’s charting and what’s popular and what people are listening to, I’m typically disappointed that there isn’t a lot of innovation happening on the side of the storytelling of the song. I feel that it hasn’t really caught up to the modern era and our way of life. So, we’ve sort of really taken a stab at doing that and trying to be pioneers of a new generation of rock. 

What does music mean to you?

Well there’s nothing quite like music on this planet. It’s sort of an anomaly that doesn’t make a lot of sense. I don’t know. Is there any other species that listens to music? It’s such a human thing, and it’s such a strange thing. I mean, literally, scientifically, why certain tones and certain notes, literally frequency of sound waves, can be pleasing and can evoke some kind of emotion. It’s completely unexplainable. When I was really little, I was drawn to that. I used to watch a lot of movies. There were a lot of movies being played in my house, and I was really drawn to movie scores and the connection between the emotion that these characters had and the way the music over top of it could enhance that by so much or could completely change a scene. You could play out a scene in a movie and have either really sad, somber music or really happy music, and you could change the entire tone of what the actor might be saying or the conversation from like, somber and truly sad to maybe sarcastic. It’s just so powerful in that way that it can do that, and that’s without lyrics alone. I feel really lucky that I have a career in music because I think it’s one of the most special things about human existence. Truly, I do.          

What can you tell me about our upcoming tour?

I can tell you that we are supporting a band called Nothing More. Fantastic band, great energy and good guys. We are very excited about it...before we actually head out on all the dates with Nothing More, we are doing our own headline show at the El Rey Theatre in Los Angeles, which is the biggest venue that we’ve ever played in our hometown, so that’s going to be exciting. It’s like the release of our album day.

What is it like being able to perform and interact with all of these other bands?

It’s great. It’s rare that we find bands that we connect with. Like, we’ve toured with a lot of bands. We’ve done a lot of festivals, and for the most part, we keep our heads down and really keep to ourselves. I don’t know why that is, but we’re just that way. Nothing More is going to be a cool tour because we’ve already met and hung out with those guys, and we just click energetically. I don’t know, maybe as the years go on, we’ll come out of our shells a little bit.

What are you most excited for about the Oklahoma City performance?

I love Oklahoma. It’s a great place to be. It’s gonna be good energy. I can tell you I am very excited to be there and to play that show.

Doors open at 5:30 p.m. and the performance begins at 6:30 p.m.

General admission tickets are $23 and can be purchased through the venue’s website.  

Sam Tonkins is an English sophomore and a culture reporter for the OU Daily.