OU Symphony Orchestra ends 2019 semester with free tribute concert

• 0
Conductor (copy)

Jonathan Shames, Conductor of OU Symphony Orchestra, conducts the orchestra April 22, 2018.

The OU Symphony Orchestra will present its final concert of the academic year for free on April 28 as a tribute to the graduating class of 2019.

The concert will include Schubert’s “Symphony No. 8,” commonly known as the “Unfinished Symphony,” and Berlioz’s “Symphonie Fantastique.”

Jonathan Shames, music director and conductor for the OU symphony, described “Symphonie Fantastique” as wild and beautiful. 

The concert is meant to honor the graduating students growth and accomplishments, Shames said in the promotional Facebook video.

“These (graduates) are people who have studied here and developed as musicians and are going out into the wide world to bring what we hope is a wonderful qualities that they will have learned here into the music world,” Shames said in the video.

The orchestra is comprised of undergraduate and graduate students from the School of Music. In the video, Shames said the most exciting aspect of this concert is the chance for current, developing students to hear the graduating players.

The tribute concert will begin at 3 p.m. on April 28 in Sharp Concert Hall. Admission is free, though donations are encouraged.

All proceeds will go towards the Aspire Fund, a new undergraduate scholarship initiative by the OU School of Music. Cash, checks and credits cards are all accepted.

Alma Cienski is a modern dance performance and public relations junior and a culture reporter for The Daily.