OU School of Visual Arts capstone students to showcase 'Odyssey' exhibition

• 0
sova capstone exhibition

The annual OU School of Visual Arts senior capstone exhibition opens with a complimentary public reception at 2 p.m. Sunday, May 5.

OU's School of Visual Arts 2019 senior class will present its annual capstone exhibition May 5. 

The exhibition, "Odyssey," will open with a public reception at 2 p.m. May 5 in the Lightwell Gallery and will be followed by the exhibition, representing varied mediums from the school's programs, according to a press release.

All students pursuing an OU bachelor of fine arts degree must participate in the capstone course, which focuses on creating a body of work that represents their focus and fine arts education.

The School of Visual Arts students organize the exhibition with help of faculty, and display a portion of students portfolio from their time at OU, according to the release. 

"This group of studio students is diverse and motivated. They have been working hard to research to refine their ideas and skills to complete their capstone projects for this exhibition," said studio art professor Marwin Begaye in the release. "In each of the projects, they are exploring use of mixed media using different processes. I find the way they used materials very engaging and exciting, because they are beginning to push the boundaries of traditional art making."

The reception and exhibition will begin at 2 p.m. May 5 in the Lightwell Gallery, on the second floor of the School of Visual Arts in the Fred Jones Art Center, 520 Parrington Oval.

The Lightwell Gallery is open to the public 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday and is closed on weekends and OU holidays. 

Assistant culture editor

Abigail Hall is a journalism junior and assistant culture editor at The Daily. She previously worked as an arts & entertainment reporter.