OU School of Music to host medley of concerts this April

• 0
Catlett Music Center

Catlett Music Center.

The OU School of Music has a busy April planned with several concerts and performances that feature different genres and ensembles.

Here are some highlights for the upcoming weeks.

1. The OU Percussions Ensembles and Steel Band will perform several modern percussion pieces at 3 p.m. on April 7 at in Sharp Concert Hall.

The concert will also serve as the world premiere of the ensemble’s commissioned piece, “Awake” by Benjamin T. Finley, according to the event page.

Advanced tickets are $5 for students and $9 for adults. Tickets are $10 at the door.

2. The Celebration of Unity and Community Concert is a benefit concert to support the Women’s Resource Center of Norman.

Several OU music ensembles, such as the OU Woodwind Quintet and the OU Oboe Studio, will perform, and a video featuring the stories of victims of sexual assault will play during the final piece, according to a press release.    

The concert will be held at 8 p.m. on April 11 in Sharp Concert Hall. While the concert is free, donations are encouraged.

3. The Boomer Campus Band and the Sooner Campus Band, comprised of students with various majors and varying levels of experience, will perform several pieces including Norman Dello Joio’s “Scenes from the Louvre” and Eric Whitacre’s “Cloudburst.”

The concert will be at 8 p.m. on April 18 in Sharp Concert Hall, and admission is free.

4. The OU Combined Choirs and the Norman Philharmonic will perform Brahm’s “Ein Deutsches Requiem” at 8 p.m. on April 25 in Sharp Concert Hall.

More events can be found on the OU School of Music’s website.

Tickets can be purchased through the OU Fine Arts Box Office.