OU India Student Association to host celebration, give people a taste of Indian culture

• 0
Eve of Nations: India Student Association

Students from the India Student Association perform at Eve of Nations on Friday, April 4, 2014, at the Lloyd Noble Center. Eve of Nations is the largest cultural event in Oklahoma. 

OU’s India Student Association will host its biggest event of the year April 20.

The event, Tamasha, will allow people who are unfamiliar with Indian culture and the different regions of India to learn more about it and get a taste of the Indian culture, said Akriti Jalla, president of India Student Association.

Tamasha translates to a "grand celebration/a big fuss,” according to the event page. The event will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the Reynolds Performing Arts Center.

The event will include dancing and singing performances by members and alumni of India Student Association to express the Indian culture. Jalla said different groups will perform a piece that expresses a specific region of India.

The event will kick off with a fashion show of India Student Association's members wearing different costumes and traditional wear from different cultures within India. The performances will follow the fashion show, Jalla said.

An Indian buffet style dinner, including food from different regions on India, will be served after the performances in the Oklahoma Center for Continuing Education Forum building.

“One of our goals is to give the international students a home. By having these events, it allows students to have a community,” Jalla said.

Doors open at 5:45 p.m. and the event is open to the public. Tickets can be bought at the Indian Student Association's booth in the Oklahoma Memorial Union now through April 19 or online for $10 each or $7 each when bought in groups of five. The ticket includes admission to the show and dinner.