Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition to feature Oklahoma artists at Womb gallery

• 0
"Momentum"

The Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition, or OVAC, will celebrate the 18th anniversary of “Momentum” on March 22 and 23.

The Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition, or OVAC, will celebrate the 18th anniversary of “Momentum,” a two-night multimedia arts event, on March 22 and 23.

OVAC is a non-profit organization that supports Oklahoma artists, promotes public interest and helps people of all ages understand the arts.

The exhibit features the works of Oklahoma artists ages 30 and younger incorporating film, performance, new media, installation, music and other artistic mediums. Hundreds of young artists submitted their work to be considered for the event. The selected pieces were chosen by special guest curator Zoe Larkins and emerging curator Samantha Rhodes, according to a press release. Larkins is the assistant curator at the Museum of Contemporary Art Denver, and Rhodes serves as an intern at OVAC after having recently graduated from American University’s Art History department.

“Throughout planning this exhibition, I have enjoyed and been encouraged by the young, artistic talent thriving in Oklahoma,” Rhodes said in the release. “The work of these artists includes abstraction, portraits, still-life, landscape, sculpture, and more. Momentum is about bold, yet inviting pieces that will resonate with all visitors and inspire a bit of exploration.”

The curators worked together to sort through more than 300 works to create a show of 90 works and three spotlight projects. The spotlight artists for “Momentum” 2019 are Emily Chase from Tulsa, Cecilia Otero from Oklahoma City and Anna Thomas from Tulsa.

Chase is a paper artist, mostly creating three-dimensional sculpture works like illuminated multi-layered paper boxes. For her “Momentum” project, she created an illuminated tunnel that the viewer can pass through to experience art in a different way, Chase said.

“One of the reasons I was excited about doing this project is that I wanted the opportunity to have support and space to create a large-scale project to see what that was like, because most of my work is the size of the human body or smaller,” Chase said. “I wanted to see what would happen if I took this light box design I had been working on for a number of years and blew it up to a much larger scale.”

The featured artists received an honorarium of $1,000 and three months of guidance from the curators to help them with their projects. Chase said the honorarium was especially helpful because purchasing art supplies for an installation project can become quite expensive.

A preview exhibition for the spotlight artists will be Feb. 12 through June 22 at 21c Museum Hotel. This exhibition will also be on view from March 26 through April 26 at Southwest Oklahoma State University’s Art Gallery.

“Momentum” will be from 8 to 11 p.m. on March 22 and 23 at the Womb gallery, 25 NW 9th St. This event is sponsored by Dunlap Codding, P.C., Chickasaw Nation and 21c Museum Hotel.

Alma Cienski is a modern dance performance and public relations junior and a culture reporter for The Daily.