Oklahoma theaters to show free screenings of 'Black Panther' for Black History Month

• 0
Black Panther Poster

The poster for "Black Panther."

In honor of Black History Month, AMC theaters will bring the box-office hit “Black Panther” back to the big screen in 250 theaters nationwide.

The film will be shown at four theaters across the state, two of which are in Oklahoma City: AMC Penn Square 10, AMC Quail Springs 24, AMC Patriot 13 and AMC Southroads 20. Penn Square and Quail Springs are both located in OKC. Patriot is in Lawton, and Southroads is in Tulsa.

“Black Panther” is one of the more recent additions to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Upon release in 2018, the film's popularity spread like wildfire.

It was highly praised for its predominantly African-American cast. It has received seven Oscar nominations, won Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture and Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture at the Screen Actors Guild Awards and many other nominations and awards.  

“I think it’s awesome that they’re bringing this movie back even though it came out a year ago,” said Vikki Dwira, interim assistant director of African American Programs and Services at OU.

"Black Panther" will be screened twice a day at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. from Feb. 1-7. The showings will be free but require reservations.