Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park begins its 35th season with 'Twelfth Night' performance

• 0
Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park

Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park 2019. 

Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park (OSP) announced its 35th season opener, “Twelfth Night.” The play will open at the Paseo Arts District Theatre on Feb. 7.

“Twelfth Night” is a comedy about “thorny love triangles, mistaken identities and a pair of twins lost at sea”, according to a press release. It will also feature original live music from Stephen Hilton and Kaleb Michael Bruza.

“I love this play; it’s one of my favorites in the canon because of the music, the games and the comedy but also the gentle discussions about love,” said director Kathryn McGill in the release.

The cast will feature Greg White as Malvolio, Jessa Schinske as Viola, Stephen Hilton as Sir Toby, Jordan Nicholes as Orsino, Sarah Lomize as Olivia, Kaleb Michael Bruza as Feste, Nicholas Sumpter as Andrew Aguecheek, Lindsay Rollins as Maria and Onnika Hanson as Antonia, according to the press release.

OSP has decided to pay homage to its roots by celebrating Shakespeare this season instead of its usual contemporary plays. All the plays this season are by Shakespeare except one by playwright Lauren Gunderson, which is essentially “a love letter to Shakespeare,” McGill said.

“We thought that since this is our 35th year, we would really go back to celebrating that word 'Shakespeare' in our title. We’ve really decided to celebrate Shakespeare this season,” McGill said.

OSP also received a $50,000 grant from the Kirkpatrick Family Fund, which will be used to fund development of a strategic plan for renovation of and move to The Paseo Plunge, a theatre complex in the Paseo Arts District. The grant will also be used for operating expenses for the 2019 season.

“Twelfth Night” will be showing from Feb. 7 through March 2 at the Paseo Arts District. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit the OSP website.